The first follow-up version of Worldbuilder is released, Version 0.1.1! This is admittedly a minor version, but comes with some very nice usability improvements, a few new features, and better error detection and messaging, as well as some miscellaneous bug fixes. (Click here to purchase. There is also a demo available. If you have already purchased it, you may proceed to the download page.)
The usability improvement has to do with camera controls. Previously, the only way to change the view was using the primitive controls on the left pane. With version 0.1.1, you can now do the natural, controlling the camera using the mouse and keyboard within the viewport itself. Click and drag, zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, or use the keyboard (WASD/ZQSD and arrow keys for panning, number pad +/- and page up/down for zooming). Far more convenient than sliders.
If you would like to do something with the raw data procedurally generating that Worldbuilder is presently unable to do, you can now get at that data in the JSON format. Under the File menu is an option to dump all of the data to a file. Warning: The generated files can get rather large. This export will need to be improved in the future, to be smarter about what data gets dumped. But for now, I figured too much data is better than none at all.
For situations where Worldbuilder is being uncooperative, I also added better error detection and reporting. Fewer things should cause a crash, and error messages will be reported in the status bar. If you’re looking for more information, under the Help menu you’ll find debug options, including the ability to turn on various logging which will be displayed within the Lua console (also accessible through the Help menu). These debug options also include Lua compiler settings which can be adjusted in case various compiler optimizations aren’t playing nice with the scripts.
- Added mouse and keyboard controls for controlling the viewport camera.
- Added ability to export a dump of all raw data to JSON.
- Made significant improvements to error detection and messaging.
- Added options for controlling log output to the Lua console.
- Added options for disabling various Lua compiler settings, for diagnostic purposes.
- Released memory resources whenever a new world generator is opened or created.
- Fixed incorrect latitude calculations when projecting a planet onto a flat map.
- Fixed the Braun stereographic map projection, which had previously included a scripting error and completely failed to work.
- Miscellaneous minor user interface improvements.