Time to take a break from Worldbuilder development, for it is once again a Ludum Dare weekend! This time I’m going to try out Unity 5.0. I’ve dabbled in Unity 4.x in the past, but never quite felt comfortable enough with it to use it for rapid prototyping. I’m looking to remedy that by subjecting my inexperience to the fires of game jam hell.
But before Ludum Dare 32 officially starts, I did want to make sure I am capable of producing at least something playable in Unity in a short period of time, so I made a tiny little vertical shooter. Took around five lazy hours, so I’d say that’s a good sign that I’ll be able to pump something out over a 72-hour timespan. As long as I don’t get paralyzed by game design brain farts.
The game can be played using the experimental WebGL build or the Unity Web Player, and you can grab a Windows build, in 64-bit or 32-bit form. Controls are basic; AD/arrow keys to move left/right, and spacebar/left mouse button to fire. The points you get for each enemy destroyed are proportional to the number of enemies on the screen.